Triggering, falling off the wagon, blaming others, attention seeking, etc. – unhealthy responses to frayed emotions. PANIC!
Controlling your breath and using this as a focal point, is a simple and essential method of calming and centring ourselves.
With practice, this Simple Spiritual Diaphragmatic Breathing technique can take us from panic to calm, within seconds.
- Sit comfortably (this can be done sitting, laying on your back, or standing). Relax.
- Place one hand on your upper chest and the other just below your ribs.
- Breathe in deeply and slowly, through your nose, inflating only your belly. You should feel your stomach inflate out against your hand.
- As your stomach area fills, continue to inhale, now inflating only your upper chest. You should feel your upper chest inflate out against your hand.
- Once your lungs are filled, pause. Imagine your breath filling your head.
- Exhale, first from your stomach, then from your upper chest.
- Repeat as many times as needed for you to feel relaxed.
Advanced – a spiritual exercise
Once you feel comfortable with this technique, make these adjustments:
- Remove your hands, and simply allow your chest / stomach to roll and expand.
- As you inflate your stomach say, “Holy”
As you inflate your chest say, “Spirit”
As you pause then exhale say, “Fill me”
- As you exhale, surrender everything to the Holy Spirit (or to Jesus or to Father God).
- IF you have specific areas of concern, pain, emotional triggering, etc., imagine the breath going into these areas, at step #5, above, while inviting the Holy Spirit into these areas.